- Two games in One, for double the fun. simple, straightforward controls, new playable characters optimized for younger and less experienced players, and a wealth of bonus content
- All a player needs is One Joy Con Controller, so two people can team up right out of the box: Number of Players: up to 4 players: Genre: Action, Adventure
- Tackle 164 platforming courses in the two main game modes and Enjoy extra replay ability with three additional game modes
- Two Super Mario Bros. Games in One, for double the fun
- A variety of playable characters are available, some with unique attributes that affect gameplay and platforming physics
- New fighters, like Inkling from the Splatoon series and Ridley from the Metroid series, make their Super Smash Bros. series debut alongside every Super Smash Bros. fighter in the series…EVER
- Fast combat , new items, new attacks, new defensive options, and more will keep the battle raging whether you’re at home or on the go
- 2018 Nintendo. Original Game: Nintendo / HAL Laboratory, Inc
- Entertainment Software Rating Board (ESRB) Content Description: Cartoon Violence, Comic Mischief, Suggestive Themes
Are you a lifelong fan of video games? Of course, you are. Aren’t we all? If you are missing the good old days and looking for some retro style, Super Mario Bros. Crossover 4 could be the game for you.
Bringing back the old school platform gaming in style: On the first encounter with this game, it was like I was stepping back to my childhood, with a little twist. You get instantly immersed in an 8-bit soundtrack with a small addition of modern beats included while the graphics gameplay transports you straight back to the 1980s.
Straight from the offset, you have ten characters to choose from:
Mario – Obviously, you couldn’t play an SMB game without Mario. Collect mushrooms to grow and flowers for fireballs!
Luigi – SMB Lost levels
Link – From the Legend of Zelda series has his sword and boomerang, however, use the boomerang to stun your enemies before utilizing the sword to finish them off!
Samus Aran – Samus has his blaster from the original Metroid games, and although it has a short range at first, it does not take long to get a power-up to increase the destructive distance to the same as Bill Rizer!
Simon Belmont – Employ the whip or ax as he did in Castlevania.
Mega Man – Mega Man, is all about the running, jumping, and shooting!
Bass – Mega Man 10
Bill Rizer – Contra’s main character, Bill, is the most powerful character on the game. He has kept his firepower from the original series.
Ryu Hayabusa – Ninja Garden
Sophia III – Blaster Master
Each of these characters also has other related styles to choose from after the initial selection. However, I won’t go into each of these options; you will have to play it yourself to find out!
The use of weapons in Super Mario Bros. Crossover 4 is a fantastic integration of retro gaming to give you the feel of a unique experience. Choosing your character at the beginning of each level is also a refreshing change.
After playing one level, you can instantly see that each of the players have their unique control styles as they did in the original games. The uniqueness is a refreshing change to the usual retakes of retro games. At the end of level one, I got: You unlocked infinite time cheat! Although I am not a fan of the “unlocking cheats for completing levels” idea, it is a nice touch.
If you are looking for a retro style game with a twist, this is undoubtedly the game for you. Adults that grew up with these games and children now will love this game. In fact, I struggled to get my children off it so that I could write this review.
A point to note is that there is shooting in this game, so if it is not something that you feel comfortable with your children playing, then you will need to regulate that. However, it is only the classic “fire a ball at an enemy to make them disappear” style. There is no gore in this game at any point, so I would have no issue leaving my children to play it.